Fun facts about me
Fun facts about me… My name is William Briscoe, and I am a professional dancer, dance instructor, choreographer, fitness coach and certified yoga instructor. I am a brother, uncle, cousin, friend, partner, personal development mentor.
I am truly grateful for my life. Dance has provided me with many incredible opportunities and experiences. It helps me engage with my physical self in the world; keep an open mind; stay conscious and courageous. It’s provided me with a life beyond my wildest dreams.
- Born in East Harlem, NYC. Where music, dancing and style is always present
- Age 10, took my first dance classes at the Repertory Dance Company of East Harlem (RDCEH).
- Travelled to Aurillac, France, with RDCEH. Performed West African, Modern and Jazz dances
- Went on to the “Fame” School: LaGuardia High School of Music and Art & The Performing Arts
- Further training included Merce Cunningham Dance Center, Harlem School of the Arts, Alvin Ailey American Dance Center, Peridance Center
- Arts Recognition Talent Search, Miami, FL. Level 1 winner in Modern Dance
- At age 18, Soloist in Aida at Metropolitan Opera at Lincoln Center
- BFA in Dance from The Juilliard School, NYC
- Leading Company member with Aszure Barton and Artists upon graduating
- Performed in Robert Battle, Battleworks; abcdancecompany, St. Pölten, Austria; Kyle Abraham, A.I.M./Abraham In Motion; Brice Mousset, Oui Danse; Karole Armitage, Armitage Gone Dance!; Mihkail Baryshnikov, Hell’s Kitchen Dance; Alessandra Ferri, Evolution tour; Camille A. Brown, CAB: research projects
- Broadway revival of Three Penny Opera at Studio 54: Choreographer’s Assistant to Aszure Barton
- Vogue Evolution from ABC’S America’s Next Best Dance Crew
- Music video: Damned Devotion: Joan As Policewoman
- Kinky Boots musical promo: Feel the Joy
- BAAD(Bronx Academy of Arts and Dance): Choreographic Residency
- ImpulsTanz, Vienna: Turbo Research Residency
- The Next Level Musicians and Choreographers Residency
- Former Adjunct Professor of Dance at Adelphi University, Garden City, NY
- Move On Dance Center; InDancity; Austria Performing Arts Center;
- Bolzano Danza Workshops, Bolzano, Italy; BAC Braswell Arts Center
In 2019, I moved to Vienna, Austria. I have had wonderful teachers. All that I have experienced, learned and accomplished has led me to where I am today. Knowledgeable, competent, confident – and ready to help you on your path. Yoga “The great secret is this: it is not enough to have intuitions; we must act on them; we must live them.” The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali
I didn’t find yoga. It found me! I had been dancing professionally for over two decades when one day, during a performance, I sprained my Sacroilliac joint. Ouch! At the time my mind wasn’t in a healthy place, and I now believe I called this injury into my being. “Hello, come in. What are you here to teach me?” I tried PT for eight months. It helped some. But didn’t strengthen my back muscles or balance enough to allow me to return to the stage. Then one day, while walking down the street in my old East Harlem neighbourhood, I looked up and saw a big awning with the words “Bikram Yoga East Harlem.” I walked up the stairs, grabbed a flier and bought a 30-day class pass. Thus, my yoga journey began. Out of the darkness comes the light. When the current pandemic hit, I kept myself busy by training to become a certified yoga teacher. Yoga is a vital part of my life today. It helps maintain mental agility, physical strength and a positive outlook. My intention is to offer these same gifts to you.